In Senegal, Christian schools follow a “grow as you go” model. This means a school will typically start with one room of preschoolers, adding a grade each year building onto the school when room is needed. Bethesda School started in 2010 with one class of three preschool children, at the end of the 2017/18 school year they had 8 classes and over 230 children. The needs continue to grow and the desire is to provide children with a sound education.
This $100,000 project includes: adding classrooms, providing desks, adding a school van, expanding the preschool, purchasing property for teacher housing, providing additional income with guest housing, and creating a computer room and library.
Your gift can help! An African proverb says, “If you want to go quickly go alone. If you want to go far, go with others.” GO on the Mission wants to go far with Bethesda School and working together with you will allow us to make a difference for kids.
Bethesda School Projects and Descriptions
1. Finish Existing Construction: The Bethesda School is currently at capacity as every classroom is full of students. Construction has started on the second level and one classroom has been completed, but two more classrooms are needed. As the reputation for giving excellent education has grown at Bethesda, there is more and more demand for classroom space. This project is top priority.
Estimated Cost: $17,600
UPDATE: We have finished the existing construction!
3. School Van: Currently, the only children who attend the Bethesda School are those within walking distance or those whose parents can afford transportation. The headmaster has shared that there are many children who would attend if transportation were provided. The purchase of a school van would alleviate this obstacle and promote the growth of the school.
Estimated Cost: $14,300
4. Preschool Addition: Across the campus from the main school building is a smaller building where the headmaster used to house his office. He recently relocated his office and is turning this building into the preschool section of the campus. Additional classroom space is needed for this building. As the reputation for giving excellent education has grown at Bethesda, there is more and more demand for classroom space.
Estimated Cost: $17,600
5. Adjoining Property: The school administration has talked to the owner of the property adjacent to the school and expressed interest in purchasing this land. The expectation for this property is to provide teacher and guest housing.
Estimated Cost: $11,825
UPDATE: The adjoining property has been purchased!
6. Teacher & Guest Housing: Many qualified teachers are interested in working at the Bethesda School but appropriate housing in the area is very difficult to obtain. This limits the school’s ability to hire excellent teachers. The housing will also provide a place for guests and visitors to lodge when they are in the area, thus providing additional income to the school.
Estimated Cost: $24,200
7. Computer Room and Library: In order to advance the education of the students and prepare them for the future, a computer room and library are essential. Most schools in Senegal have very limited access to books and technology. Bethesda would like to change by introducing more books and technology thereby improving the level of reading, research and resources that will advance knowledge and empower students.
Estimated Cost: $10,670
UPDATE: Currently working on this project.
Will you join us in this effort? Go on the Mission wants to go far. Working together we can make these projects happen!